Rail Based Mass Rapid Transit System (MRTS)
RITES prepared Feasibility report of total corridor length of 200 km and DPR (Phase-I) for total length of 61.4 Km in January, 2016. The Phase-I have 4 corridors:
- Corridor-1: Dharapur– Narangi (Elevated)
- Corridor-2: M. G. Road to Khanapara (Underground)
- Corridor-3:Jalukbari to Khanapara (Elevated)
- Corridor-4: ISBT to Paltanbazar (Elevated)
Subsequently, in the Cabinet meeting held on 18 January 2017, the decision was taken for incorporation of changes and recast of DPR (Phase-I) for Rail-based MRTS. The changes are:
- Extension of Corridor-I from Dharapur- Narangi to Guwahati Airport
- Metro connection for North Guwahati and AIIMS to be taken up in the first phase itself
- All major points such as Airport, Guwahati Railway Station, Kamakhya Railway Station,Kamakhya Temple, Gauhati University, Pandu Ghat etc. to be taken up for Metro connection in the first phase.
- The DPR work for the extension corridor will be started soon.
The project will be implemented through Special Purpose Vehicle (SPV) namely Guwahati Metro Rail Corporation Limited (GMRC).